Spicy Dark-Chocolate Pudding

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to eat pudding every day. Like my other resolutions, I’ve already slacked off, but today, I’m getting back on track…at least on the eating pudding part.

I don’t know why anyone would ever bother with pre-packaged pudding. Homemade pudding is easy, delicious, and you most likely have everything you need in your cupboard.

2 cups of milk
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 teaspoon of vanilla (or almond extract)
1/2 cup of dark chocolate bar chopped-up (or chocolate chips)
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional, this will make it noticeably spicy, if you only want a hint of spice, just add a pinch)

-Add the milk, cocoa powder, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and cornstarch to pan.
-Heat over medium heat until it boils (about five minutes). Stir constantly.
-Continue to heat for another minute or two, until it starts to thicken.
-Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and the chocolate bar.
-Pour into four containers. Eat warm or chill. If you chill it, place either plastic wrap or wax paper directly on the surface to keep a skin from forming on it.

This version makes a rich, dark pudding. You can make it more of a milk chocolate pudding by decreasing the cocoa powder to 1/4 cup, increasing the cornstarch to 2 tablespoons and using milk chocolate instead of dark.

If you want something really special, top it with fresh whipped cream. One of my husband’s New Year’s resolutions is to eat more whipped cream…it’s going to be a great year…

Happy New Year!

14 Responses to “Spicy Dark-Chocolate Pudding”

1. Foodista says:

OMG! That really looks delicious. I’d like to invite you to take some time to drop by at Foodista and share your delicious recipe with us. We have launched an online food and cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia. Add a recipe and you can win a $100 gift card to Sur la table. Don’t forget to register first so we know who to thank the recipe for. Thanks!

2. Wow! This recipe is one that you can dress up for as a fancy dessert or just cozy up with just you and a spoon!

3. April E. says:

I posted the Homestead Carnival #78 today. Thanks for entering your post.

April E.

4. Sean says:

This sounds great. Now make me some bread pudding!

5. kara says:

Oh, I’ll make you some bread pudding, Sean. First, of course, I gotta make the bread.

6. […] thurmond presents Spicy Dark-Chocolate Pudding posted at An Hour In the Kitchen, saying, “Homemade pudding is easy, delicious, and you most […]

7. Hello. When it all come to opinions, everyone has its own; specially regarding \”Spicy Dark-Chocolate Pudding\”. Have you seen a good delicious chocolates?

8. hallie says:

I think I can actually make this one!

9. ellen says:

can we have this next time we get together????

10. […] thurmond presents Spicy Dark-Chocolate Pudding posted at An Hour In the Kitchen, saying, “Homemade pudding is easy, delicious, and you most […]

11. Jan says:

We just made chocolate pudding in honor of Andrew’s birthday! We used a dark chocolate with orange – we’ll let you know how it worked.

12. Kate T.W. says:

I am making your pudding tonight and will be eating it for lent.

13. Chocolates says:

It’s really nice recipe.
    Basically i like all chocolates relates recipe. I’ll try it on weekend.

I hope that you brings more chocolates related recipe in future.

Thanks

14. Chocolates says:

Hi,
    Really nice post
    We’ve all heard about the marvelous things that chocolate can benefit our body. Chocolate coins are the new method to advertise and market products and services. The corporate world is always coming up with new and catchy ideas to advertise their products and chocolate coins can advertise company logos or be used as an incentive program for personnel. Employees of the month programs are a good place to use these chocolate coins to reward for the hard working individuals.