Otto from Ottos’ Market got me to try La Quercia Prosciutto Americano from Iowa. Not only does it hold it’s own against fancy imported Italian salumi, it’s made with humanely raised hogs without antibiotic, nitrates or nitrites.
This recipe uses coconut oil. The once shunned oil is now the new darling of the food world. Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, an antioxidant and is, in fact, good for your heart.
2-3 tablespoon coconut oil (enough for about 1/8-1/4 inch of oil)
2 cup pickles (any type will do. Click here for a quick pickle recipe)
1/4 pound thinly sliced Proscuitto
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup wheat flour
1 Tablespoon water
dash of salt
- Place egg and water in a bowl and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour and salt.
- Wrap each pickle slice with Proscuitto.
- Dip each Proscuitto wrapped pickle in the egg then dredge in the cornmeal mixture.
- In a small sauté pan, melt coconut oil over medium- medium high heat. Keep temperature right below the oil’s smoking point.
- Set each slice in the heated oil. Cook each side until golden brown.
- Set on a paper towel-lined plate and let cool slightly before serving.