I got the idea to add preserved lemon to biscuits from the Serious Eats blog. They did a wafer version with parm cheese. I made more of a biscuit. I made some biscuits with blue cheese and some with cheddar. I couldn’t decide which I liked better. The blue cheese ones are saltier, but also more complex. The cheddar ones are a bit lemonier. I say make a batch of each.
These make great hors d’ouves.
4 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon (about 1/2 small preserved lemon)
2 cup grated cheddar or crumbled blue cheese
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chopped preserved lemon pieces in a mesh strainer, and rinse. Be sure to remove seeds.
- Mix together the lemon pieces, cheese, and parsley. Knead until it forms a well-mixed dough ball.
- Break off small pieces (about a teaspoon) and roll into bite-size balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and press down on each ball slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 16 mini biscuits.