2 cups finely chopped leeks, washed well (leeks can hide dirt between layers)
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups asparagus (about 1 pound), cut into small pieces
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup of water
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Dash of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan add asparagus, leeks, garlic and butter. Sauté over medium heat for about five minutes.
- Add stock and water, simmer covered, for 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is very tender.
- Purée the soup in a blender until it is very smooth. Note, be very careful when blending hot liquid. Always start blending slowly and hold the blender lid on with dishtowel.
- Return the soup to the pan, and whisk in the yogurt and lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium to low heat until it is heated (don’t let it boil).