These fun and interesting appetizers are sort of like hush puppies with flowers. The floral taste is very subtle, especially, if you go too heavy with the batter, like I did. A lighter touch or a tempura batter would highlight the floral taste better.
You’ll need to pick the flowers when they are fully opened and use them quickly. They will close up in the late afternoon even after they are picked.
20 dandelion flowers
1/3 cup whole wheat flower
1/3 cup corn meal
1 t baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup milk
Oil for frying (I used olive oil because I was out of coconut oil)
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add egg, milk and garlic. Mix well and then add to dry ingredients. It should have a pancake batter-like consistency.
- In a heavy skillet, add about 3/4 of an inch of oil. Heat to medium-high (do not heat past the oil’s smoking point, olive oil has a low smoking point, but worked fine for me).
- Dip the flowers in the batter and place them in the skillet. Turn once and fry until golden brown.
- Place on a plate lined with a paper towel.