I’m going to come right out and say that this cake is good for you. And why not, it has zucchini, which has a good amount of vitamin C, the dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, and it has less sugar per serving than I put in my morning coffee. That being said, this cake isn’t super sweet. Too satisfy a particularly sweet tooth, top it with a cream cheese frosting.
This recipe is adapted from Care2.com.
4 tablespoons butter
3 ounces good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups unbleached white wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 cups grated zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, a saucepan over low heat, or in the microwave. If using a microwave, start with 30 seconds. Stir often.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and yogurt and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate and butter mixture, and the zucchini.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
Serve as is or top with whipped cream or cream cheese icing. Ymmm.
Serves 8 to 10.