I’m told that biscotti means to bake twice. That is how these delicious cookies get their satisfying crunch. This is another great one to give as a gift. They will last for weeks.
1 cup whole almonds
3 cups flour, plus flour for work surface
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
zest from one orange
2 teaspoons almond extract
- Bake almonds 10 minutes at 350° F, let cool, roughly chop and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, fennel, orange zest and almond extract.
- Mix to incorporate the ingredients; the dough will be a little sticky.
- Flour your hands and a clean kitchen surface and lightly knead the dough. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper. Form the dough into two large logs. The loaves should be relatively flat, only about half an inch high and three to four inches wide.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes at 350º F, until the center is firm to the touch.
- Let biscotti cool for 15 minutes and then, using a serrated knife, cut into 1 inch wide pieces.
- Turn the oven down to 300º F and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely.
- Let sit uncovered overnight in a dry space.
Makes about 36 small biscotti.