The honey brings out the sweetness of the beets and the fennel keeps the sweetness in check, a beautiful combination!
4 medium-sized beets
1/2 cup fresh fennel, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
2-3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the top and stems off the beets.
- Place the beets in a small baking dish and add 1/4 inch of water. Cover with foil and roast for 35 to 50 minutes, or until the beets are tender. If you are using large beets, this could take longer.
- Remove and let cool. The skin should peel off easily. Peel, slice and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together honey, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Add fennel, onions and beets and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
I like to let this sit for at least an hour.