It’s perfect weather for roasting a chicken and one of the best things about cooking a whole bird is the leftovers.
I look at cooked chicken as fast food. I can knock out a meal in a few minutes with minimal effort. Throw it in pasta with some vegetables; add some cauliflower, curry and cooked rice for a quick Indian meal and of course you can always make soup, especially if you made stock from your roasted bird. And as with most leftovers, you can throw it into a burrito.
Chicken and Spinach Burritos
This is a good dish to make when you don’t feel like cooking. It’s quick and healthy. You can add whatever you have on hand. Add a can of black beans if you want to stretch your dollar a bit more.
2-3 cups of cooked chicken
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
3 generous handfuls fresh baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon chopped jalapeno (optional)
3 ounces of cream cheese
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoon salsa
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
4 Whole-grain flour tortilla
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in a 350° oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, jalapeno and chicken to skillet. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Mix in chili powder, salsa, yogurt and cream cheese. Cook until cheese has melted and sauce has thickened.
- Add spinach. Cook on low just until spinach starts to wilt.
- Remove from heat, add cilantro.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll tightly and place seam-side down.
- Top with salsa and plain yogurt or sour cream. Serve with a salad.